Page 36 of 36 FirstFirst ... 26343536
    Liked 22 Times in 17 Posts
    Bottas: ‘With our strategy the timing of the Safety Car was the worst possible’.
    Valtteri Bottas said he “tried something different” with his strategy in Miami – but his plan was undone by the mid-race Safety Car, leaving him down in P16 at the flag.
    05 May 2024
    Formula One - Official Site (Video)

‘Worst possible’;

https://www.formula1.com/en/video/bo...55954742902934

Bottas hopes Miami ‘an outlier’ for Kick Sauber as Zhou laments ‘real struggle’ all weekend
    08 May 2024
    Formula One - Official Site

Reflecting on setting off and finishing in 16th, Bottas said: “Of course, the starting position wasn’t the best, so I think it was good to try something different. Then, honestly, with that strategy, the timing of the Safety Car was the worst possible.

“It’s unfortunate… I think it was good to try but ultimately we didn’t quite have the pace today that I thought we would, so plenty of learnings to take from this weekend.”

He added: “I hope this was an outlier. In the last two events we’ve been in a better place. Again, the next race [at Imola] is a very different track, so with some new bits on the car then we’ll see again. But it is tight, you know, and small gains can make a big difference.”

‘Real struggle’;

https://www.formula1.com/en/latest/a...B1EOvzkLzuo6AX

Bottas hopes Miami performance was an “outlier” for Sauber
    13th May 2024, 0:01
    Written by Will Wood
    RaceFans

Valtteri Bottas admits that he was disappointed with the performance of his team in last weekend’s Miami Grand Prix weekend. Bottas finished 14th in the sprint race and 16th in the grand prix after multiple penalties for drivers ahead. He says he is anticipating a stronger performance in this weekend’s Emilia-Romagna Grand Prix.

“I hope [Miami] was an outlier,” he said. “In the last two events, we’ve been in a better place. The next race is at a very different track. So with some new bits on the car, then we’ll see again. But it is tight and small gains can make a big difference.”

‘Outlier for Sauber’;

https://www.racefans.net/2024/05/13/...nd-up-13-05-7/

Sauber: Bottas' race engineer switch tied to Audi forward planning
    16:48 Fri, 10 May 2024.
    Phillip van Osten
    F1i.com

Sauber representative Alessandro Alunni Bravi has revealed that the team’s decision ahead of the Miami Grand Prix to swap Valtteri Bottas' race engineer was a move dictated by Audi's forward planning ahead of its full works entry into Formula 1 in 2026.

Bottas had worked alongside engineer Alex Chan since joining Sauber in 2022 and was informed ahead of last weekend’s race that Steven Petrick, a former performance engineer with Ferrari, would be taking Chan’s place.

The move hinted at a bigger picture, with Bottas himself suggesting it was part of a larger "reconstruction" initiative by the Swiss outfit in preparation for Audi's official arrival in 2026. The Finn seemed none too pleased with the decision, but Alunni Bravi confirmed the reason behind the change decided by Sauber CEO Andreas Seidl.

‘The Finn seemed none too pleased’;

https://f1i.com/news/507527-sauber-b...-planning.html

Sauber-Audi defends sudden Bottas change
    MAY 14, 2024
    GrandPrix.com

Audi-owned Sauber has defended its decision to appoint a new race engineer for Valtteri Bottas as of the last Formula 1 race in Miami. I think that's a question for the team, he said when asked why his engineer since 2022, Alex Chan, had suddenly been assigned to a different post in Miami.

It was quite a sudden change, Bottas added, "but obviously trying to make the most of it. I think it's part of the kind of reconstruction of the team. And yeah, so I don't do those decisions.”

The Finn admits that he isn't sure what his next move in F1 will be, having also declared that Audi signing Nico Hulkenberg for 2025 and beyond was surprising and early. I don't know, said Bottas. I'm obviously speaking to multiple teams, some talks have advanced more than the others. So we'll see.”

‘New race engineer’;

https://www.grandprix.com/news/saube...as-change.html

Bottas in talks with 2 teams as Audi prioritises F1 rival
    Fri 3 May 2024 12:00
    Kyle Archer
    F1 Oversteer

Sauber star Valtteri Bottas is now in active talks with two rival Formula 1 teams about a switch for 2025 as Audi is prioritising a different driver to join with Nico Hulkenberg.

Valtteri Bottas is in talks with Williams about a move to the F1 team in 2025. Williams may have an opening beside Alex Albon for Bottas to fill in 2025 as Logan Sargeant is out of contract after 2024. The Grove squad only gave Sargeant a single-year contract last December to stay for a second season after the 23-year-old’s rookie campaign last term.

Bottas would offer Williams an experienced driver they know well from his days there from 2013 and 2016. The Finn made his Formula 1 debut with them at the Australian GP in 2013 and entered 78 races with them, before replacing Nico Rosberg at Mercedes through 2021.

‘Bottas in talks’;

https://www.f1oversteer.com/news/sau...ises-f1-rival/

Valtteri Bottas hit with grid penalty for the Miami Sprint
    10:02 Sat, 04 May 2024.
    By Balazs Szabo
    F1 Technical

The full statement read: "The Stewards heard from the driver of Car 81 (Oscar Piastri), the driver of Car 77 (Valtteri Bottas), team representatives and reviewed positioning/marshalling system data, video, timing, telemetry, team radio and in-car video evidence and determined that the driver of Car 77 unnecessarily impeded Car 81 during the Sprint Qualifying.

"On the straight before Turn 1, Car 77 was being driven slowly on the racing line after finishing a fast lap, while Car 81 was approaching on a fast lap. Car 81 and Car 77 needed to take evasive action to avoid a collision. The primary responsibility rests with the driver to ensure that he does not place himself in a position whereby he unnecessarily impedes another driver. Here Car 77 was driving slowly on the racing line and caused to the situation that ensued.”

"However, during the hearing both team and driver of Car 77 admitted that the team had not warned the driver of Car 77 that Car 81 was approaching on a fast lap. That was obviously an error on the team’s part and contributed significantly to the incident"

‘Grid penalty for the Miami Sprint’;

https://www.f1technical.net/news/24518

Stroll on P17 finish: ‘We were on the back foot all weekend’.
    Aston Martin’s Lance Stroll lamented the timing of the Safety Car during the Miami Grand Prix, which he said “finished” his race, since he’d pitted earlier in a bit to undercut Yuki Tsunoda.
    05 May 2024
    Formula One - Official Site (Video)

‘On the back foot’;

https://www.formula1.com/en/video/st...53866936860821

Aston Martin slapped with fine by Miami GP stewards
    The fine is due to an incident involving Lance Stroll.
    3 May 7:59PM
    Jake Nichol
    RacingNews365

Aston Martin has been fined €400 by Miami Grand Prix stewards for Lance Stroll speeding in the pit-lane during the sole practice session. In Miami, the pit-lane speed limit is 80kph - 49.7mph, but the Canadian was clocked at 83.5kph - 51.8mph, exceeding it by 3.5kph or 2.1mph.

This was a breach of Article 49.7 of the sporting regulations, with the competitor fined €400. Stroll finished a strong fifth in the session for the team, but team-mate Fernando Alonso struggled, taking 19th of 20 runners, but slowest as Charles Leclerc only completed three laps before a spin which ended his session early and triggered red flags.

‘Slapped with fine’;

https://racingnews365.com/aston-mart...mi-gp-stewards

These upgrades could make or break Aston Martin’s season
    May 14, 2024
    Jaden Diaz-Ndisang
    Last Word On Sports

Aston Martin has experienced mixed results in 2024, but this weekend’s Imola GP should provide more clarity on their capabilities. In the fourth round of the year in Japan, Aston Martin introduced their first set of upgrades. At face value, they seemed to yield reasonable results.

Fernando Alonso was contending with Ferrari and McLaren in qualifying, whilst the AMR24 showed improved tyre conservation during the Grand Prix. Unfortunately for the Silverstone-based team, the evidence since then has been far less optimistic. Generally speaking, the car overseen by Dan Fallows has the opposite characteristics of its predecessor. On Saturdays, the car performs at a high level, contending for the top 6 – although rarely for Pole Position.

Upgrades for Aston Martin. Fernando Alonso and Lance Stroll will receive updates this weekend. Aston Martin will introduce the second part of the package initially introduced in Japan. Speaking bluntly, the enthusiasm and expectations surrounding the AMR24’s modifications are not especially high. The British squad’s development since the start of 2023 has been significantly worse than that of its immediate rivals — and even teams further down the field.

‘Make or break’;

https://lastwordonsports.com/motorsp...artins-season/

Why Aston Martin abandoned low-drag F1 rear wing update in Miami
    Aston Martin has explained that the sensitive nature of tyres at last weekend’s Miami Grand Prix prompted it to elect against running its all-new Formula 1 rear wing design.
    10:25 Wed, 08 May 2024.
    Jonathan Noble
    Matt Somerfield
    Motorsport.com

The Silverstone-based squad brought a new lower drag rear wing to Miami in the hope that a better straightline speed would help it in the fight against its rivals. However, despite running it in practice, Aston Martin went back to its more usual configuration – which inevitably made things harder for its drivers Fernando Alonso and Lance Stroll when it came to racing.

Speaking about why the team had abandoned a design that had been specifically created for the track, team principal Mike Krack explained that the choice was prompted by the lower downforce level triggering more sliding from the tyres. Krack said: “It was more a decision that you make based on tyre behaviour. If you have a lot of sliding, you really weigh up downforce against top speed.”

“This is a permanent discussion in the office about whether to go up, or to go down. The drivers have their opinions because they have to try and pass - so we made that choice. If we started again, maybe the choice would be different. But the wing choice in the end was not the decisive factor.”

‘Low-drag F1 rear wing update abandoned’;

https://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/w...wing/10608275/

Lawrence Stroll offers ‘phenomenal’ Mercedes target £407k-a/w to join Aston Martin
    Sat 27 April 2024 14:00
    Kyle Archer
    F1 Oversteer

Aston Martin owner Lawrence Stroll has tabled an eye-watering offer to tempt one of Toto Wolff’s targets for Mercedes to join his Formula 1 team yet it may not be enough. The Canadian billionaire is desperate to turn the Silverstone outfit he initially bought back in 2018 into a success. Stroll led a consortium to buy Force India before also bringing the Aston Martin name back to Formula 1 in 2021. He even tempted Fernando Alonso to join and stay.

Now, Stroll wants to convince another F1 legend to join Aston Martin, too. Aston Martin and Mercedes are fighting to hire Adrian Newey. That is according to Corriere della Sera, which reports that Stroll has made Adrian Newey an offer to switch Red Bull for Aston Martin. Yet even Stroll’s offer of €25m-a-year (£407k-/w) might not be enough to convince Newey to join Aston Martin.

Corriere della Sera adds that those close to Newey feel retirement, even just partial, from racing is possible to spend more time on his other interests such as sailing. Signing Newey would be huge for Aston Martin or Mercedes ahead of Formula 1 introducing new engine and technical regulations in 2026. Both teams are miles away from fighting Red Bull at the front of the field right now. Aston Martin are also still to win a race in Formula 1.

‘An eye-watering offer’;

https://www.f1oversteer.com/news/law...-aston-martin/

Breaking: Albon signs new multi-year F1 contract.
    Another piece of the driver market puzzle has fallen into place as Alex Albon has committed to a new multi-year contract. "I am incredibly happy to be remaining with Williams Racing and to continue working with such a talented and dedicated team of people,” Albon said.
    15 May 2024
    Fergal Walsh
    RacingNews365

Alex Albon has committed his Formula 1 future to the Williams team, signing a multi-year extension with the Grove-based squad. The new deal will take Albon into the new era of technical regulations, which come into play in 2026.

“It has been a difficult start to the year but since joining Williams we have made significant progress together and I have seen the huge changes happening behind the scenes to take us back to the front of the grid.”

“This is a long-term project that I really believe in and want to play a key role in which is why I have signed a multi-year contract. The journey will take time but I am confident we are building the right team to move forward and achieve great things in the years to come.”

‘Happy’;

https://racingnews365.com/breaking-a...ar-f1-contract

Alex Albon convinced Williams “on the right path”
    May 14, 2024
    Jaden Diaz-Ndisang
    Last Word On Sports

Williams is in the middle of its first blip in form under James Vowles’s leadership. The former Mercedes strategist is overseeing a series of changes that he believes are necessary for long-term success. Unfortunately, as the 44-year-old has explained, this often comes at the cost of immediate performance. As Williams undergoes this process, Alex Albon remains optimistic about the future.

The British outfit is yet to score points in 2024, which is undoubtedly a difficult pill to swallow. Still, Alex Albon is still hopeful that progress is on the horizon: “I have a lot of trust in James and know that he’s making the right decisions and that it is the right path,” Motorsport-total quotes him as saying.”

“We lacked pace and were a little late with our updates. I believe the team is strong and healthy – I have a feeling there will be an improvement. It’s always nice when it happens straight away, but James is the right man for this job. There is definitely progress.”

“Right path”;

https://lastwordonsports.com/motorsp...he-right-path/

Why is a 'champion-level' F1 driver committing to a point-less team?
    May 15, 2024
    Scott Mitchell-Malm, Edd Straw
    The Race

Why has a driver linked with Red Bull, Ferrari and Mercedes over the past year committed to a point-less Formula 1 team that has had an incredibly underwhelming first few months of 2024? The Williams FW46 is a better car than last year’s, yet paradoxically has yet to score a point – something the team hopes to start to change with the first of a series of upgrades at Imola this weekend.

By producing a car that is ‘better’ – as in more consistent across a wide range of tracks rather than being ‘overpowered’ on certain tracks and strong on the straights – this has made it more difficult to score. “That’s a fair assessment,” said Albon when The Race put it to him that the Williams is more of an all-rounder than the 2023 car but lacking in the peaks that make it easier to score points.

“Corner to corner, for the most part, it’s better. There are definitely areas where it’s a little more unstable than last year, but that’s just the philosophy we went down. There is performance on the table. When and if we can unlock it, I do believe we can score points regularly. We’re balancing a little bit of just lack of upgrades - we’ve been late since the shakedown and we haven’t really put out a decent update at all this year so far, so we’re falling behind.”

‘Why?’

https://www.the-race.com/formula-1/a...ontract-logic/

Williams F1 News: Alex Albon Confirms Future After Non-Committal Comments
    May 15, 2024
    Lydia Mee
    Sports Contributing Writer
    Newsweek

After recent ambiguous remarks about his future, Alex Albon has officially signed a multi-year extension with Williams Racing. Alex Albon has dispelled uncertainties surrounding his tenure at Williams Racing by signing a multi-year contract extension. Although the length of the contract has not been confirmed, it will see him into the next regulation change in 2026. Williams Racing's commitment to Albon is equally firm, with Team Principal Vowles highlighting the importance of Albon's continuity. He commented in the same press release:

"We are delighted to secure Alex's long-term future with Williams Racing. He has exceptional talent, technical input and dedication to the cause and this is a huge vote of confidence in Williams and the journey back to competitiveness that we are on. Since joining, Alex has consistently demonstrated his ability to perform under pressure, and signing him for the long-term is a big piece of the puzzle of moving us up the grid."

‘Future confirmed’;

https://www.newsweek.com/sports/form...0795?piano_t=1

WATCH: ‘I believe in this journey’ – Albon discusses multi-year contract extension with Williams Team Principal James Vowles
    May 15, 2024
    Formula One - Official Site

With Alex Albon having put pen to paper on a multi-year extension that will see him remain at Williams into Formula 1’s new regulations era in 2026, the Thai driver sat down with Williams Team Principal James Vowles to discuss what it means for the Grove-based squad.

“Doing this is a huge vote of confidence for the team,” Vowles tells Albon. “You saw the reaction [from the team] downstairs. That’s a better reaction than when I joined actually… You were in demand, and rightly so.”

“I know we’ve really only put pen to paper not so long ago,” says Albon, “but in the process it’s been about trying to use this as a shift to everyone, to try and motivate everyone. I’m hoping the fact that I believe in this team, to everyone at the factory – that’s reason in itself to realise that we all can do this and I feel like, and I hope, I can give that reassurance in some ways to everyone to know that I believe in this journey, so you should too.”

“I believe”;

https://www.formula1.com/en/latest/a...IhsjqxCoSORRX9

James Vowles sends message to Alex Albon after confirming Williams contract extension
    15 May 2024
    Ben Evans
    F1 Oversteer

Williams star Alex Albon has confirmed he’s signed a new contract with the team much to the delight of team principal James Vowles. The 2024 Formula 1 driver’s market Is incredibly volatile at this stage and Alex Albon is one of the few positives from the past 18 months for Williams.

James Vowles keen to build Williams project around Alex Albon. Posting on Instagram after the announcement, Vowles said: “Our project is not one of a year, but a transformation across many seasons as we fight back up the field.

“I am pleased to announce that Alex will be by our side for that journey, signing a multi-year deal to remain with Williams. I have had the fortune of knowing Alex for many years, he showed the world what he is capable of in 2023 and I cannot wait for us to build this team together over the years to come.”

“By our side”;

https://www.f1oversteer.com/news/jam...act-extension/

Alex Albon commits long-term future to Williams as Mercedes forced to look elsewhere
    Alex Albon has committed his long-term future to Williams, having enjoyed a successful two years with the team since returning to the sport in 2022 as boss James Vowles looks to change their fortunes
    15 May 2024
    By Jacob Leeks Senior Sports Reporter
    The Mirror

Alex Albon has signed a multi-year contract with Williams to commit his long-term future to the storied team. Albon is in his third season with the English team and has become their lead driver, scoring 31 points since taking on the seat. His performances had impressed many pundits, with rival teams also eyeing moves for him ahead of next season.

Williams will be relieved to tie down their top driver, as their overhaul under the watch of team principal James Vowles continues. In a statement announcing Albon's new deal, they insisted it shows there is a 'shared belief' the team can return to the top of the sport.

‘Looking elsewhere’;

https://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/formu...tract-32814377

Our verdict on Albon's renewed Williams F1 commitment
    Alex Albon has been tied down to Williams on a long-term deal - hear what the team at RacingNews365 make of the major commitment.
    15 May 2024
    RacingNews365 Staff
    RacingNews365

Jake Nichol - Albon didn't have any other choice. In the end, Albon didn't have anywhere else to go and re-signing with Williams was the best, and only choice, he had.

Fergal Walsh - The best of a tricky situation. Albon's position in the driver market saga cooled off greatly once James Vowles made it clear he had a deal in place already for the 2025 season.

Samuel Coop - A benefit for Williams, rather than Albon. In some ways, I’m surprised and maybe even a bit disappointed – not that it is my place to be. Alex Albon has more than proven himself since joining Williams and his talents are arguably not being fully utilised there – his form warrants a more competitive seat, and he was surely pushing for one.

‘Our verdict’;

https://racingnews365.com/our-verdic...-f1-commitment